The lot at 1919 Marengo Street was purchased in 1895 by William S. Delaney, a prominent plasterer in New Orleans. He built this house for his family and took occupancy in 1896.
At the time the original construction was completed, there was an open front porch on the house, a barn in the back for his horses, and a green house for Mr. Delaney’s exotic plants.
- Full Robinson Map (1883)
- Handbook of Mechanics, Dealers, and Lumbermen’s Exchange (1892)
- The Mechanics, Dealers, and Lumbermen’s Exchange (April 30th, 1900)
- Exchanges Elect New Century Leaders (January 15, 1901)
- Our Lady of Lourdes (February 26, 1911)
- Poultry Raising Made To Pay (February 26, 1912)
- Bunya Bunya Pine (December 10, 1916)
- Daily States Listing of Plasterers (January 14, 1918)
- William Delaney Obituary (March 24, 1927)
William S. Delaney
William S. Delaney was the president of the lumberer, plasterer, and masonry association around the turn of the century. He installed the plaster work in many famous structures in New Orleans, including the Lady of Lourdes church and complex on Freret and Napoleon.